Friday, April 10, 2015

Lost & Found

It's been many months since any writing has been posted publicly and I've come back to this project with a new energy. Although most of the flags around Richmond have been removed, I haven't lost heart in the idea of continuing to write and share that writing in some way. I've decided to post the handful of flags that I have had waiting and then to find new ways to post new writing in public. 

The fantasy of being a published writer has traveled with me since I was a child but I've started to believe that being published doesn't have to be what I always imagined. In a changing world that seems full of more gadgets than books, I don't know that being a writer of books seems to hold the same weight in my mind. It's almost like wanting to be a VCR repairman in 2015. However, I don't want to just send my thoughts adrift on the cyber-sea either. My desire is to find a way to communicate with the world that merges past and present, a way to communicate that can grow and change as I do and as the world does around me. 

For many years I have attempted to combine art and writing in some way. I've pursued more traditional routes like zines or simply placing words in art or art on pages of words. The dissatisfaction with the result would compel me into focusing on one or the other or shift between the two in some kind of disjointed creative process. It would leave me feeling like an exhausted bigamist, ready to abandon all. I admit that a prayer flag or a paper airplane might not fully capture the art that is in my mind. Still, the act of filling these objects with my words and placing them in a spot that speaks to me sometimes feels like composing a painting or building a sculpture.

This project is an experiment of invention...the invention of my own language. I am combining words and symbols to tell some truths about myself and what I experience with the hope that someone else will find these messages, like hieroglyphics on a cave wall, and appreciate them.

No comments:

Post a Comment