Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Strawberry Street, Richmond, VA


April 29, 2015


Warriors
www.wordsinwait.blogspot.com

We each have an intrinsic drive to survive-
A warrior cell that commands us to
breathe deeper and refuse
to silently submit and be broken.
It forces arrows out like splinters
and ignites the light to cut
through our clouded eyes.
in the moment that we are most bent over by what
we have heaped upon ourselves
this warrior carries its demands
on a voyage through our veins
to reach our stuttering heart
so that even when pressed against
the ground in drunken stupor or
pinned to the wall by shame we are
compelled to cry out and claim
something for ourselves-
something made rightfully ours by
that undefined divine.
That moment marks our baptism
into a new faith where
our warrior becomes our god
where we worship ourselves by
silencing our self destructor-
telling the part of us willing
to go to hell to be right
to shut up and be still-
and in that silence we
can finally hear our individual truths

and believe in them.

Workhorse
www.wordsinwait.blogspot.com

My job is moving boxes.
I lift them.
I carry them.
I stack them.
It requires no mental acuteness
just force and motion.

I am a workhorse.

Once this was a source of shame.
A downfall.
A disgrace.
A disappointment.
A failure not exclusively my own
passed with bread at the family table.

But I'm not a simple beast.

Untaxed by trade my mind is free.
It's a resourceful explorer
wandering like a wild creature
not a broken brute.





No comments:

Post a Comment